Tangerine Investment Funds Limited has procedures in place to handle any written or verbal complaint received from Clients in a fair and prompt manner. This is a summary of those procedures, which we provide to new Clients and Clients who have filed a complaint and that we also make available on our website at tangerine.ca/investments.
Tangerine Investment Funds Limited will provide new Clients and Clients who complain with a separate document called the Client Complaint Information Form (“CCIF”) that provides general information about their options for making a complaint.
Clients of a mutual fund dealer who are not satisfied with a financial product or service have a right to make a complaint and to seek resolution of the problem. In many cases, complaints are easily solved by a phone call to Tangerine Investment Funds Limited at 1-877-464-5678. All complaints to Tangerine Investment Funds Limited will be handled by qualified personnel.
Clients may contact us at any time to provide further information or to inquire as to the status of their complaint, by contacting the individual handling their complaint or by contacting:
If you’ve made a complaint to Tangerine Investment Funds Limited, and your questions or complaints are not resolved to your satisfaction, please write to: Customer Complaints Appeals Office, 44 King Street West, Toronto, ON M5H 1H1.
Where Clients have difficulty putting their complaint in writing, they should advise us so that we can provide assistance. For confidentiality reasons, we will only deal with the owner of the Account.
Tangerine Investment Funds Limited will acknowledge receipt of complaints promptly, generally within five days. We review all complaints fairly, taking into account all relevant documents and statements obtained from the Client, our records, our staff members and any other relevant source. Once our review is complete we provide Clients with our response, which will be in writing if the complaint was made in writing. Our response may be an offer to resolve your complaint, a denial of the complaint with reasons or another appropriate response. Where the complaint relates to certain serious allegations, our initial acknowledgement will include copies of this summary and the CCIF. Our response will summarize your complaint, our findings and will contain a reminder about your options with the Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments.
We’ll generally provide our response within ninety days, unless we’re waiting for additional information from you, or the case is novel or very complicated.
We’ll respond to communications you send us after the date of our response to the extent necessary to implement a resolution or to address any new issues or information you provide.
If we offer you a financial settlement, we may ask you to sign a release and waiver for legal reasons.
Clients of a mutual fund dealer who are not satisfied with a financial product or service have a right to make a complaint and to seek resolution of the problem. Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (“MFDA”) Members have a responsibility to their clients to ensure that all complaints are dealt with fairly and promptly. If you have a complaint, these are some of the steps you can take:
1. Contact Tangerine Investment Funds Limited. We’re responsible to you, the investor, for monitoring the actions of our representatives to ensure that they are in compliance with by-laws, rules and policies governing our activities. Tangerine Investment Funds Limited will investigate any complaint that you initiate and respond back to you with the results of our investigation within the time period expected of an MFDA Member acting diligently in the circumstances, in most cases within three months of receipt of the complaint. It is helpful if your complaint is in writing.
2. Contact the MFDA, which is the self-regulatory organization in Canada to which Tangerine Investment Funds Limited belongs. The MFDA investigates complaints about mutual fund dealers and their representatives, and takes enforcement action where appropriate. You may make a complaint to the MFDA at any time, whether or not you have complained to Tangerine Investment Funds Limited. The MFDA can be contacted:
a. By completing the online complaint form at mfda.ca
c. By email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The MFDA does not order compensation or restitution to clients of Members. The MFDA exists to regulate the operations, standards of practice and business conduct of its Members and their representatives with a mandate to enhance investor protection and strengthen public confidence in the Canadian mutual fund industry. If you’re seeking compensation, you may consider the following:
1. Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments (“OBSI”): You may make a complaint to OBSI after you have complained to the dealer, at either of the following times:
a. If the dealer’s Compliance Department has not responded to your complaint within 90 days of the date you complained, or;
b. After the dealer’s Compliance Department has responded to your complaint and you are not satisfied with the response. Please note that you have 180 calendar days to bring your complaint to OBSI after receiving the dealer’s response.
2. OBSI provides an independent and impartial process for the investigation and resolution of complaints about the provision of financial services to clients. OBSI can make a non-binding recommendation that your firm compensate you (up to $350,000) if it determines that you have been treated unfairly, taking into account the criteria of good financial services and business practice, relevant codes of practice or conduct, industry regulation and the law. The OBSI process is free of charge and is confidential. OBSI can be contacted:
b. By email at email@example.com
3. Legal Assistance: You may consider retaining a lawyer to assist with the complaint. You should be aware that there are legal time limits for taking civil action. A lawyer can advise you of your options and recourses. Once the applicable limitation period expires, you may lose rights to pursue some claims.
4. Manitoba, New Brunswick and Saskatchewan: Securities regulatory authorities in these provinces have the power to, in appropriate cases, order that a person or company that has contravened securities laws in their province pay compensation to a claimant. The claimant is then able to enforce such an order as if it were a judgment of the superior court in that province. For more information, please visit:
a. Manitoba: msc.gov.mb.ca
b. New Brunswick: nbsc-cvmnb.ca
c. Saskatchewan: fcaa.gov.sk.ca
a. If you are not satisfied with the outcome or with the examination of a complaint, the Autorité des marchés financiers (“AMF”) can examine your complaint and may provide dispute resolution services.
b. If you think you are a victim of fraud, fraudulent tactics or embezzlement, you can contact the AMF to see if you meet the eligibility to submit a claim to the Fonds d’indemnisation des services financiers (“Financial Services Compensation Fund”). An indemnity up to $200,000 can be payable through monies accumulated in the fund for an eligible claim.
c. For more information:
ii. Visit lautorite.qc.ca.
We don’t currently have a physical location in the following provinces and territories: Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Yukon and Nunavut. We are provincially licensed in each of these provinces and territories, and will service your Account from our Contact Centre(s) located in Ontario. If you ever have a complaint or concern relating to your Account, please contact us first so that we can deal with any matter that may arise.
Tangerine Investment Funds Limited agrees to submit and attorn to the jurisdiction of the courts of the following provinces and territories: Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Yukon and Nunavut with respect to any disputes which may arise out of our actions or conduct in relation to your Account(s) notwithstanding any provision to the contrary in any contract, agreement or document executed by you at the time your Account is opened or at any time thereafter. Our address for service of legal proceedings in Manitoba is: Pitblado LLP, 2500-360 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB R3C 4H6. Our address for service of legal proceedings in Saskatchewan is: MacPherson Leslie & Tyerman LLP, 1500-1874 Scarth Street, Regina, SK S4P 4E9. Our address for service of legal proceedings in Nova Scotia is: Stewart McKelvey Stirling Scales, 900-1959 Upper Water Street, Halifax, NS B3J 2X2. Our address for service of legal proceedings in New Brunswick is: Stewart McKelvey Stirling Scales, 10th Floor, Brunswick House, 44 Chipman Hill, Saint John, NB E2L 2A9. Our address for service of legal proceedings in Prince Edward Island is: Stewart McKelvey Stirling Scales, 65 Grafton Street, P.O. Box 2140, Charlottetown, PE C1A 8B9. Our address for service of legal proceedings in Newfoundland and Labrador is: W. Les Thistle, Barrister, Solicitor and Notary Public, suite 207, Town Square, 75 Barbour Drive, Mt. Pearl, NL A1N 2P3. Our address for service of legal proceedings in the Northwest Territories is: Davis LLP, Suite 802 Northwest Tower, 5201-50th Avenue, Yellowknife, NT X1A 3S9. Our address for service of legal proceedings in the Yukon is: Davis LLP, 201-4109 4th Avenue, Whitehorse, YT Y1A 1H6. Our address for service of legal proceedings in Nunavut is: c/o Michael H. Penner, P.O. Box 11032, Iqualuit, NU X0A 1H0.
Tangerine Investment Funds Limited is only permitted to distribute Investment Funds in Canada. If you move outside of Canada temporarily or permanently, we can’t accept trading instructions from you or do business with you. You’ll only be permitted to redeem units in your Account(s). If your country of residence changes, you’ll be responsible for any withholding taxes that you may face. Any transactions you make may also be subject to the laws of your new country of residence.
Neither Tangerine Investment Funds Limited nor any of the mutual fund units it offers are registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, and we are not permitted to engage in securities transactions with US Natural Persons.
Our services are not to be seen as an offer or solicitation in the United States of America or its territories or possessions, in the United Kingdom, or in any other country outside of Canada.
Certain names, words, titles, phrases, logos, icons, graphics or designs on our website or in any other materials provided to you from time to time may constitute trade names, trademarks or service marks of Tangerine Investment Funds Limited or other entities affiliated therewith, the use of which may have been licensed among them. The display of trademarks on our website or in any other materials provided to you from time to time does not imply that a licence of any kind has been granted to anyone else. All such information is protected under the copyright laws of Canada and in other countries. Unless otherwise specified, no one has permission to copy, redistribute, reproduce and republish, in any form, any of this information.
These Account Terms are binding upon you and each of your successors, assigns and legal representatives. You can’t transfer any of your rights or obligations under these Account Terms to anyone else.