Written by Tangerine
Friday, April 22nd, 2022
It's Tangerine's 25th birthday!
Don't worry. We aren't expecting presents.
Earning the trust of millions of Canadians is rewarding enough.
In return, we've helped revitalize the banking experience in this country, by promising – and delivering – fewer fees, great rates, and simplified products that give all our Clients the power to understand and control their financial destiny.
In 25 years, we've put billions of dollars in interest into the pockets of Canadians. To us, that's icing on the cake.
Out of a lifetime of milestones, we've picked 25 that define our journey as Canada's leading digital bank.
1. ING DIRECT opens as Canada's first branchless bank, disrupting the industry with its no-fee, high-interest Savings Account.
2. Our website is launched, introducing online banking in addition to our great Contact Centre service. Saving just got easier.
3. You want investments? We've got Investments. ING DIRECT launches its first mutual funds....
4. ... and now Mortgages too. Our Mortgage offers Clients a great rate upfront and flexible payment options.
5. Our Investment options expand to Quebec.
6. Bank on the go, with our new Mobile Banking app.
7. Introducing our no-fee1 daily Chequing Account, which actually pays Canadians interest.
8. Scotiabank acquires ING DIRECT Canada, and the next chapter of direct banking begins.
9. We're No. 1! For the first time, we rank first in customer satisfaction among all mid-sized banks in the J.D. Power Canada Retail Banking Satisfaction Study2. But we're not about to rest on our laurels.
10. You can now deposit cheques with a smartphone using our Cheque-In feature, a first in Canadian banking.
11. Welcome to Tangerine. New name, same bold use of orange.
12. The Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card adds a splash of colour, and some extra cash, to your wallet.
13. A fully redesigned Forward Banking experience for web and mobile helps Clients visualize their finances in a new and powerful way.
14. Tangerine becomes the official bank of the Toronto Raptors. That very season, the team goes on to take the championship. Coincidence?
15. Client Cards now include Visa* Debit, giving Clients the ability to make online and in-app purchases using money in their Chequing Account.
16. Introducing our Global ETF Portfolios, offering an intuitive way for Clients to gain exposure to a selection of Exchange Traded Funds in a mutual fund.
17. Sign up with a selfie. Use our Mobile Banking app to become a Tangerine Client completely digitally.3 Now smile! :)
18. We're No. 1 – times 10! For the 10th year in a row, Tangerine ranks first in customer satisfaction among all mid-sized banks in the J.D. Power Canada Retail Banking Satisfaction Study2. You're too kind…
19. We partner with Kids Help Phone's RiseUp initiative to provide critical programming that empowers and supports Black youth in Canada.
20. Tangerine becomes the first foundational partner of the WNBA in Canada and introduces Phoenix Mercury guard Kia Nurse as our Tangerine Champion.
21. Following on the success of our Global ETF Portfolios, Tangerine adds Socially Responsible Global Portfolios to our Investment Fund offering, an opportunity for Clients to invest in a way that aligns with their personal values.
22. Tangerine surpasses $8.6 billion in interest paid out to Canadians. And counting.
23. MoneySense calls us the "best online bank in Canada." Aw, shucks.
24. We love giving back to the communities we live in, and so do our employees, devoting roughly 50,000 volunteer hours to date. That's more than five hours a day for 25 years!
25. April 27, 2022. Celebrating a quarter-century as Canada's leading digital bank, with over 1,200 employees Canada-wide. More than 13,000 Clients who opened an Account in our first year, 1997, are still banking with us today.
They grow up so fast, don't they?