6 Tips to Invest in Your Mental Health Through Self-Love This Valentine's Day
Written by Shveta Hariharan
Monday, January 14th, 2019
Valentine's Day can be a time to celebrate love.
Or if you're like me, Valentine's Day can hold a negative connotation. It may be due to the commercialized, overly saccharine effects of this day, or if you're single, it can be an emotionally turbulent time, or at least a mild annoyance.
If you feel that way, why not use this as a great opportunity to show yourself some well-deserved love?
I know it's cheesy, but as many psychology studies suggest, self-love and compassion are key for your health and wellbeing.
Here are 6 tips to show yourself some tender love and care, without killing your budget:
- Connect with your loved ones, and I don't mean through technology. So many of us have relationships and friendships solely taking place online or through our phones. However, studies suggest face-to-face contact has far more power to keep depression at bay. Give friends and family a call or arrange a visit – perhaps schedule a nice long walk or a coffee catch-up. You'll be pleasantly surprised by how much this can shift your state.
- Clean and organize your living space on the cheap. Here's the thing: science class has told us that everything is made up of energy – including inanimate objects. When you take that into account, it makes so much more sense that the energy in a room can affect your mood and mentality. De-cluttering can be a rewarding experience financially and emotionally. Take the time to organize your room in a way that pleases you.
- Self-love meditations. Studies show just how incredible meditation can be for our wellbeing. Meditation can be a very cost-effective tool to improve your self-worth. Whether it's a free app with pre-loaded guided meditations, or thousands of videos on YouTube, or even going for a mindful walk, you have the opportunity to improve your life significantly.
- Take yourself out on a date. Go to dinner, or order in your favourite meal. Buy yourself beautiful fresh flowers, or simply give yourself a break. Because you associate these tasks with showing love to your partner, you can't help but feel loved when you do them for yourself.
- Read books that feed your soul. Whether it's fiction, non-fiction, Chicken Soup for the Soul or 50 Shades of Grey, don't judge yourself when it comes to what you enjoy reading. Take the time to savour every sentence and chapter, and experience the joys that come from using your imagination.
- Invest in yourself with free or inexpensive classes in your community. See what you can find in your community and learn something new while in a social environment. Look into what your local libraries, non-profits, and online groups have to offer. Beyond learning a new skill, you'll make friends and feel a sense of accomplishment.
Love Yourself This Valentine's Day
Above all, no matter what time of year it is, be kind to yourself. Ultimately, you're all you've got, and it's important that you love, support, and honour yourself. That way, you can be a better friend, family member, and partner to everyone else.
This article or video (the “Content”), as applicable, is provided by independent third parties that are not affiliated with Tangerine Bank or any of its affiliates. Tangerine Bank and its affiliates neither endorse or approve nor are liable for any third party Content, or investment or financial loss arising from any use of such Content....
The Content is provided for general information and educational purposes only, is not intended to be relied upon as, or provide, personal financial, tax or investment advice and does not take into account the specific objectives, personal, financial, legal or tax situation, or particular circumstances and needs of any specific person. No information contained in the Content constitutes, or should be construed as, a recommendation, offer or solicitation by Tangerine to buy, hold or sell any security, financial product or instrument discussed therein or to follow any particular investment or financial strategy. In making your financial and investment decisions, you will consult with and rely upon your own advisors and will seek your own professional advice regarding the appropriateness of implementing strategies before taking action. Any information, data, opinions, views, advice, recommendations or other content provided by any third party are solely those of such third party and not of Tangerine Bank or its affiliates, and Tangerine Bank and its affiliates accept no liability in respect thereof and do not guarantee the accuracy or reliability of any information in the third party Content. Any information contained in the Content, including information related to interest rates, market conditions, tax rules, and other investment factors, is subject to change without notice, and neither Tangerine Bank nor its affiliates are responsible for updating this information.
Tangerine Investment Funds are managed by Tangerine Investment Management Inc. and are only available by opening an Investment Fund Account with Tangerine Investment Funds Limited. These firms are wholly owned subsidiaries of Tangerine Bank. Commissions, trailing commissions, management fees and expenses all may be associated with mutual fund investments. Please read the prospectus before investing. Mutual funds are not guaranteed, their values change frequently and past performance may not be repeated.