To open a bank account as a student, what does Tangerine need?
There are 2 ways you can complete identity confirmation to become a Client.
To confirm your identity online (i.e. digitally), you'll need a valid Government Issued Photo ID, which can be either:
- Canadian Driver's Licence
- Provincial/Territorial Photo ID Card
You may also be asked to upload a document as proof of your residency. It can be any one of these documents:
- A bank account or loan statement dated within the last 3 months
- A utility bill such as electricity, water, gas, phone or internet dated within the last 3 months
- A property tax assessment or waste management bill dated within the last year
- A registered account statement (RRSP/RSP, TFSA, RRIF/RIF) dated within the last 3 months
It takes 3 business days for us to confirm that your documentation matches the information you provided when you signed up.
If we aren’t able to confirm your identity online, you may need to go to a Canada Post outlet for identity confirmation. In that case, you’ll need to bring one piece of ID and one proof of residency document.