*Official Contest Rules Tangerine #MortgageSavvy Twitter Chat Contest
1. Eligibility: No purchase necessary. The Tangerine #MortgageSavvy Twitter Chat Contest (the “Contest”) is open to residents of Canada, excluding residents of Quebec. Entrants must be of the age of majority in their province of residence. Employees of Tangerine or any of its affiliates (including Scotiabank®), their agents, or other companies associated with the promotion of the Contest, as well as immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of such employees are not eligible.
2. Sponsor: The Contest is sponsored by Tangerine, a Schedule I bank under the Bank Act (Canada) with its head office at 3389 Steeles Ave. E., Toronto, Ontario M2H 0A1 (referred to here as “Tangerine” or “Sponsor”).
3. Agreement to Official Rules: Participation in the Contest constitutes an entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Contest Rules as well as the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth in these Official Contest Rules. Responses to chat questions are those of individual participants and do not reflect the views of Tangerine nor do they constitute financial advice. Participation in the Tangerine #MortgageSavvy Twitter Chat does not constitute an offer or commitment by Tangerine to provide any financial products or services.
4. Entry Period: The Contest begins on April 19, 2021 at 8 P M Eastern Time (“ET”) and ends on April 19, 2021 at 9 P M ET (the “Entry Period”). Entries that are submitted before or after the Entry Period will be disqualified.
5. How to Enter: To participate in this Contest, entrants must have a valid Twitter® account (“Social Account”). Entrants who don’t have an account can go to twitter.com and register in accordance with the enrollment instructions for a free account. To enter the Contest, entrants must tweet during the Entry Period using their personal account (the “Entry Post”). To be eligible, your Entry Post must:
include the hashtag #MortgageSavvy (the “Hashtag”) and the Twitter handle @TangerineBank
answer one of the questions posted on the @TangerineBank Twitter Handle (listed below), comply with the Twitter Terms of Service and Twitter Rules available at twitter.com, and conform to the Twitter (280) character limitation, including the Hashtag.
What are your top considerations in a home search? (e.g. location, property type, features, etc.) Have you separated out your needs from your wants?
Is there anything you find confusing about mortgages, and if so, what? Do you feel confident and well-prepared about shopping for or renewing a mortgage?
Have you ever checked your credit score? What impact do you think it has on your ability to get approved for a mortgage?
Do you know how much you can afford to pay for a home (purchase price), and how much you can afford to borrow (mortgage)?
What’s most important to you when you’re looking for a mortgage?
What are some ways to come up with a down payment? Do you know how much your down payment would need to be?
Do you know the difference between mortgage default insurance and mortgage life insurance?
Have you considered the costs that come with home ownership?
Do you know what closing costs include? Do you know how much you’ll need to save to cover them?
A maximum of one (1) Entry Post per person will be accepted during the Entry Period. An entrant will receive one (1) entry when the entrant tweets an eligible Entry Post in accordance with these Official Contest Rules. Any Entry Post that doesn’t follow the above format as determined by the Sponsor will be ineligible for entry in the Contest. Re-tweeting another entrant’s Entry Post doesn’t count as a new Entry Post and will be ineligible for entry in the Contest. Posting duplicate or near duplicate updates or links is a violation of these Official Contest Rules, and posting the same tweet repeatedly will not count as a new Entry Post. All such posts will be ineligible for entry in the Contest. Entrants can use one (1) Social Account to enter or otherwise participate in the Contest. Anyone found using multiple Social Accounts and/or attempting to use multiple identities to participate in this Contest will be disqualified. Standard data rates or text messaging rates may apply when you submit an Entry Post by smartphone or mobile device. Consult your carrier for your standard smartphone data rates. You are not required to use the data on your mobile device to enter this Contest. In the event of dispute over the identity of the potential entrant who submitted an Entry Post, the Entry Post will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the Social Account used to submit the Entry Post. The entrant may be required to provide identification to show that he/she is the authorized account holder of the Social Account. All Entry Posts immediately become the exclusive property of the Sponsor and will not be acknowledged. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by the Sponsor. Each Entry Post must be manually key stroked and manually entered by the individual entrant. Automated and/or repetitive electronic submission of Entry Posts (including but not limited to Entry Posts made using any script, macro, bot or sweepstakes service) will be disqualified, and transmissions from these or related email or IP addresses may be blocked.
6. Entry Requirements: Any Entry Post deemed inappropriate or unsuitable, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, will be disqualified. Sponsor reserves the right to have any Entry Post removed or modified which, in its sole discretion, does not comply with these Official Contest Rules. In such event, the entry associated with such Entry Post will be disqualified. To be eligible, all Entry Posts must meet the following requirements:
Entry Posts must not contain content that: is inappropriate, offensive or indecent including profanity, nudity, or sexual content; promotes racism, hatred, violence or harm against any living creature, individual or group; promotes discrimination based on gender, race, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, age or any other prohibited ground; or promotes the use of alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, weapons, or illegal activities;
Entry Posts must not contain advertisements, personal or commercial solicitations, or promote any political agenda or party;
Entry Posts must not contain any identifiable third party products and/or trademarks, brands or logos (other than those of Sponsor), advertise or promote any brand or product owned by any entity other than Sponsor or contain anti-competitive messages or material that violates the rights of Sponsor or its affiliates;
Entry Posts must not contain names, likenesses, photos or other information about an identifiable individual, including without limitation celebrities and/or other public or private figures, living or dead, without express written permission from the person(s) (or their estate);
Entry Posts must be in keeping with Sponsor’s image and not contain any material that could reflect negatively on the name, reputation or goodwill of Sponsor, its subsidiaries or affiliates, in Sponsor’s sole discretion;
Entry Posts must not violate or encourage the violation of any law, rule or regulation.
7. Prizes: There are five (5) Prizes to be awarded. Each Prize consists of one (1) $100 Prepaid Mastercard® Gift Card. The odds of winning a Prize depend on the number of eligible entries that are received. Gift card may be subject to additional terms and conditions.
The winner will have their Prize mailed to the address provided by the winner.
Winners are drawn randomly. Winners are selected from all eligible Entry Posts made during the Entry Period. The winners will be selected by the Sponsor, per the Sponsor’s judgment. Each Prize is non-transferable. Each Prize must be accepted as awarded and can’t be substituted, transferred or exchanged, except at the sole and absolute discretion of the Sponsor. The Prizes will be drawn between 9 P M ET and 10 P M ET on April 19, 2021.
The Sponsor will attempt to notify each potential winner within three (3) days of the drawing through their Social Account. Each potential winner will be advised of the procedure that he/she must follow to claim the Prize. Two (2) total attempts will be made to contact each potential winner. In the event a potential winner can’t be contacted through the Social Account that was used for the submission of the Entry Post, for any reason whatsoever, or where the potential winner doesn’t respond within seven (7) days of the second attempt to contact him or her, then that potential winner will be disqualified (and will forfeit all rights to the Prize) and another winner will be selected. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to select an alternate potential winner (in which case the foregoing provisions of this section will apply to the new selected entrant). No responsibility is assumed by the Sponsor for any inability of a potential entrant to successfully enter the Contest for any reason.
8. Requirement of Potential Winners: Except where prohibited, before being declared a winner, each selected entrant will be required to: (a) correctly answer a mathematical skill-testing question without mechanical or other aid ; and (b) sign and return within ten (10) business days of notification the Sponsor’s declaration and release form, Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release (the “Affidavit/Release”) which (among other things): (i) confirms compliance with these Official Contest Rules ; (ii) acknowledges acceptance of the Prize as awarded ; (iii) releases the Sponsor and each of its respective officers, directors, agents, representatives, successors and assigns (collectively, the “Releasees”) from any and all liability in connection with this Contest, the selected entrant’s participation and/or the awarding and use/misuse/receipt of the Prize or any portion of it ; (iv) agrees to the publication, reproduction and/or other use of the selected entrant’s name, address, voice, statements about the Contest and/or photograph or other likeness without further notice or compensation, in any publicity or advertisement carried out by or on behalf of the Sponsor in any manner whatsoever, including print, broadcast or the Internet ; (v) assigns all intellectual property, including copyright, in and to his/her Entry Post (and all its components) and waives his/her associated moral rights in and to the Entry Post (and all its components) in favour of the Sponsor ; and (vi) agrees to release, hold harmless and indemnify the Releasees against any and all claims, damages, liabilities, costs, and expenses arising from use of his/her Entry Post (or any of its components), including without limitation, any claim that his/her Entry Post (or any of its components) infringes a proprietary interest of any third party and any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property related cause of action. It is strongly recommended that the selected entrant photocopy all documents prior to sending and send the original documents using insured Registered Mail with the receipt of mailing. If the selected entrant: (a) fails to correctly answer the mathematical skill-testing question ; (b) fails to return the properly executed Contest documents, including the Affidavit/Release, within the specified time ; and/or (c) can’t be contacted or can’t accept the Prize for any reason ; then he/she will be disqualified (and will forfeit all rights to the Prize) and the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to randomly select an alternate eligible entrant from among the remaining eligible Entry Posts received (in which case the foregoing provisions of this section will apply to the new selected entrant). Up to three (3) alternate entrants may be contacted. If at that point, no entrant has claimed the Prize, the Prize may not be awarded. By participating, entrants who win a Tangerine #MortgageSavvy Twitter Chat Contest Prize consent to the use of their Twitter account name, first and last name, and likeness for advertising, promotion, and publicity purposes related to the Contest without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law.
By entering the Contest and submitting an Entry Post, each entrant: (i) grants to the Sponsor, in perpetuity, a worldwide, nonexclusive licence to publish, display, reproduce, modify, edit or otherwise use the Entry Post, in whole or in part, for advertising or promoting the Contest or for any other reason.
9. Privacy and Publicity: The Sponsor is committed to respecting the privacy rights of entrants. Any personal information collected will be handled in strict accordance with Tangerine Bank Privacy Agreement found at www.tangerine.ca and all applicable privacy legislation. The Sponsor will not sell any personal information collected for this Contest to any third parties. Except as otherwise set forth herein with respect to the Prize winner, any personal information collected for this Contest shall be collected, used and disclosed by the Sponsor solely for the purpose of managing and administering this Contest. By entering this Contest, the entrant hereby consents to the Sponsor's collection, use and disclosure of the entrant's personal information in order to manage and administer this Contest.
10. General Conditions: The Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion (subject only to applicable laws), to cancel, suspend, extend or modify this Contest without notice, obligation or liability if in the Sponsors’ opinion there is any suspected or actual evidence of tampering with any portion of the Contest, or if virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, force majeure or other causes corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness, or integrity and proper play of the Contest, or for any other reason in Sponsor’s sole discretion. The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest/website or electronic system or to be acting in violation of these Official Contest Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of the criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Failure by the Sponsor to enforce any term of these Official Contest Rules will not constitute a waiver of that provision. In the event of a dispute as to any Entry Posts, the authorized name will be deemed the participant. The Contest is subject to federal and provincial and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited. Entrants agree to abide by these Official Contest Rules, and decisions of the Sponsor, whose decisions are final in all matters relating to this Contest. The Sponsor and its agencies are not responsible for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, or destruction or unauthorized access or use of the site.
11. Release and Limitations of Liability: Except where prohibited, in case of death or personal injury caused by the negligence of the Sponsor, or in cases of breach by the Sponsor of any of its obligations under these Official Contest Rules, by participating in the Contest, entrants agree not to make any claim against the Sponsor, its affiliates, and their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) relating to their participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any Prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized tampering in the Contest ; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone/network lines ; (c) printing errors ; (d) lost, late postage-due Contest entry documentation ; misdirected, or undeliverable mail ; (e) errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries ; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, by entrants’ participation in the Contest or receipt or use of the Prize. Entrants further agree to compensate any of the Released Parties if they incur or suffer any loss, damage, or other liability as a result of their negligence or breach of these Official Contest Rules. Entrants agree that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Contest, and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney’s fees. Entrants waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
12. Disputes: Except where prohibited, the entrant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or the Prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in the Province of Ontario. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Contest Rules, entrant’s rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Contest, will be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the Province of Ontario, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether in Ontario or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Ontario.
13. Contest Results: To request a winners list, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Tangerine #MortgageSavvy Twitter Chat Contest, Attention Marketing Department, 3389 Steeles Ave. E., Toronto, Ontario M2H 0A1. Requests must be received within four (4) weeks of the end of the Entry Period.
Tangerine is a registered trademark of The Bank of Nova Scotia, used under licence.
Forward Banking is a registered trademark of Tangerine Bank.
Scotiabank is a registered trademark of The Bank of Nova Scotia.
Twitter is a registered trademark of Twitter Inc.
All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
©2021 Tangerine Bank.